Thursday, January 20, 2005

Me? Uncultured?

I have no idea why this bugged me. It just did. Trent Lott, right before the President was sworn in for a second term, introduced Denyce Graves, singing The American Anthem. All I knew was that this was not "O say can you see...", and it wasn't the pseudo-anthemic "America, The Beautiful". I'd never heard this song before, and I had really thought of myself as an american.

Whew. Found a link - lots of links actually, once I found her name again and found out a little more about who she is (not many CDs with mezz-sopranos ripped on my harddrive).

I felt so uncultured. Now I've got to pop in my score from PHANTOM when I get home, while watching Discovery Channel on mute or something.

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

wow, yes. wicked is, well, wicked. check out some snippits on itunes. if you're not familiar with it, it's based on a book that came out a few years ago. a very entertaining read. the unfortunate story of how the wicked witch of the west became so wicked. and i even liked it before i moved to kansas.

22/1/05 3:35 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

two votes for wicked - hmm, might have to check that one out, you think? then i'd be "cultured" :)

22/1/05 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home