Sunday, January 16, 2005

Working From Home

One of the things that happens as a programmer/consultant is that my mind sometimes works on problems and issues on the off-hours. That's why I'm all laptop'd up this evening and working on a couple of things from the kitchen table. I don't mind, really - as a matter of fact, I appreciate having the opportunity to work like this from time to time, making the most of it while not (a) forgetting what my subconscious mind was trying to figure out, and (b) waiting 'til tomorrow and instead getting an early jump on the week. Besides, I'm pretty sure that part of growing up and picking a career is that you're going to do whatcha gotta do to get the job done.

In the end, it's relative whether it's really "work" or not. Some would say that for the next thirty minutes, while I'm helping the kids get into pajamas and bed, that I'm working there, too. But that's not work, and even a career isn't real work if you're focusing more on the desired results rather than the energy expended. Trust me, little energy being expended "working" this evening, and only fun giggly ticklish energy being expended as the kids go to sleep. But it's all good, and from God's perspective I suspect it's got something meaningful alongside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home