Thursday, September 16, 2004

Blessed?

Overheard on FoxNews/XMRadio as I was getting out of my car at lunch (paraphrasing):
Reporter: You guys in Louisana must be doing something right.
Public Official: Well, God's really blessed us, sparing us again...

Almost made me cuss. Want to get me riled? Try attributing "blessing" to the fact that some catastrophe didn't wreck your house. Try telling me that another area of the coastline was, ipso facto, *cursed* because they got hit by the hurricane and you didn't get much more than a few thousand power outages. God's hand of blessing isn't that easy to follow, and His wrath is more than a little wind and rain and a storm surge. Florida is getting wrecked this season because we live in a fallen world and bad things happen to everyone - period. People die, houses fall, and rivers flood all over because there is sin, because creation is moaning and groaning for the Redeemer to end the madness.

To say that God's blessing is on New Orleans is nuts, and it's bad short-sighted theology. God's so far beyond what we think... dang it.

  • UPDATE: CNN.com - Sen. Clinton: 'We feel blessed' blockage found - Sep 16, 2004 - Like I said... don't get me started.

  • 1 Comments:

    Blogger Donna said...

    Gosh, Rick, I felt weird because I had the same reaction to that comment for the same reason. I thought to myself "man, say you're thankful, but don't say you're blessed - at least not to the whole nation". I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought that.

    17/9/04 7:40 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home