Monday, September 13, 2004

Morning Commute

We got out of the house fairly early this morning. Other than his eye bothering him, Trace had a wonderful birthday morning. With yesterday's family party, he's begun "birthday week" - and will get a little present every day until his friends-party at the park next Saturday. He's really looking forward to it, and it gives him a chance to see that we really enjoy having him around, really enjoy making him happy, and really have fun find little things we know he likes. We left the neighborhood, got to school about ten minutes early, and then I had an uneventful drive into work for the next 25 minutes or so.

I watch people as I drive - mostly those coming up behind me, tailgating a bit before changing lanes to pass on the interstate. Where are they going in such a hurry? What are they doing in their cars that might be making them less than attentive? What are they thinking, and to what are they listening? What's on their to-do list for the morning? Do they know Jesus, and are they rushing to that introduction faster than they're ready for? Things like that cross my mind as I drive the beltway each morning. That, and why couldn't Starbucks be closer to my route?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the "birthday week" thing. It spreads things out more instead of everything being over so quickly. I may try that with my 4-year-old for his next birthday. Happy birthday, Trace!

Ashley
http://chapter4.diary-x.com

13/9/04 11:18 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

"birthday week" is really great when it's YOUR birthday :)

13/9/04 11:54 AM  
Blogger joy said...

I know Jesus and I still like to drive fast. *grin*

13/9/04 2:37 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

driving fast isn't a problem - especially if you love Jesus and just wanna hurry to that first face-to-face appointment :^O

13/9/04 2:50 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday to Trace! =)

I loved this post, Rick. It reminded me of how my mom use to give me birthday gifts.

Let's say I was turning 11. For the eleven days before my birthday, I would receive a small gift- all in anticipation of The Grand Day. It was SO much fun.

And yes, I watch people when I drive too. I wonder if they just really have to go to the bathroom, or if they have a Jehu Complex. [II Kings 9:20]

13/9/04 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home