Thursday, September 16, 2004

Ego-centric

I never realized how "me"-centered this blog really is until I was asked questions about it as part of someone's research into blogging and connectedness. He called me Wednesday afternoon, and part of the conversation went something like this:
Him: You said that you blog about Christianity, Sports, Movies, Writing, Books - is there one thing your blog tends to dwell on?
Me: No, not really. It's about me, what I'm thinking and doing at any given time, whatever I want to write down in my own processing. It's about life, not any one area in particular.
Him: But do you have an hobbies, anything that tends to come out in your blog more than other things?
Me: Hmmm... the only "hobby" I've got, honestly, would be writing. I don't have an "agenda" behind what I right. It's just about me, whatever I feel or think, whatever I'm going through, my story...
Him: Why is Christianity a big part of your blog?
Me: Because it's a huge part of who I am - but it's not intentionally evangelism or anything like that. Just me writing about what I'm seeing or studying, what God's showing me, my story, etc.

Sheesh - "me" "me" "me" all over the place. Still, I tell people that I write for me, that I'm the only audience that I'm really thinking about, that I'm just using the keyboard and journal to process life - and that the idea that anyone else is remotely interested in any of this drivel is beyond me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But isn't (almost) everyone's blog me-centered? I know mine is. I talk about my family, too, but it's mostly me, me, me. Who we are comes out in our writing. It's just like if we are conversing, getting to know each other. What do we talk about? Me, me, me; you, you, you; how things in life shape me, shape you; how we react and respond to situations; etc. It's how we grow and get to know ourselves better while letting others know us in the process.

Ashley
http://chapter4.diary-x.com

16/9/04 8:41 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

exactly :) - just an observation made. hopefully keeps my humble, or humbles me, to write what needs to be written and avoid some of the pitfalls i've had or seen in the past. anyhoo - we write because we like it, and our biggest subject is often SELF. gets good when we're pursuing Christ and righteousness, but gets bad when we're just stuck.

thanks for writing - didn't you also say you wanted in on the book thing? send me your email address (if i can't find it at your site!) - peace!

16/9/04 10:24 AM  
Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

Of course it's about you Rick - it's YOUR blog.

The great thing is that you're obviously a great guy. Otherwise people wouldn't keep on coming back. :)

18/9/04 4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home