Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Surf's Up

... and that's about it for Hurricane Frances as it passes north of Puerto Rico today. I don't know that I was ever worried, but I was concerned about the possibility of losing a day of work and having to hunker in the bunker at the hotel. But all's well, and the clouds and waves were gorgeous this morning. Not as humid either, so today was the day to wear the one long-sleeve shirt I brought - not as hot, only 86F today (whew!). Hopefully I'll get some time to watch the storms and the tropical rains today, as long as they hold off until after lunchtime.

I am meeting and working with wonderful people. Jorge allowed me to set up at his workstation all day yesterday, today and probably tomorrow. Luis does his best to make sure I've got what I need. Susana's got her hands full with servers and stuff, but I'll have time later today and tomorrow to train her a bit on the system I'm here to install. Of course, being on the island is a treat, too - even if I get misdirected every time I drive because of the spanish signage. But at least back in the states, I can understand the chat going on over the cubicle walls - ain't happenin' here.

It's no fun being lonely, and that's not an emotion I experience often, nor do I take it lightly. I think the hurt and boneheadedness of the last couple of weeks is adding a bit to the feeling of isolation, frustration of being virtually alone. I really enjoyed talking to my kids on AIM-Talk last night, but they were fighting over who's using the microphone and who's typing more than just wanting to say HI to Daddy (I don't take it personally, trust me :) - they're way to sweet to yell at over the internet!). And my wife is very kind and gracious, and way too far away right now. Conversations on the phone are wonderful, but don't take the place of sitting on the couch and not having to speak, you know? And I've pushed away friends - and I don't know what the forgiveness will look like yet. I've left a few emails - they don't check very regularly, but I'd hoped they would have responded. Of course, there's one "deep" email I haven't responded to yet, either. Probably both of us unsure of what to do next. But I would normally be sharing with them and with the email list what's going on here on the high seas.

Jesus spoke to the storm in Mark 4:39 (kjv) - "Peace, be still". Why did he have to say basically the same thing twice? Jesus wouldn't have to command the storm to stop twice. One thought is that the "peace" was for the disciples, and the "be still" was for the storm, or vice versa. That sermon will preach. But my thought right now is that the "peace" was for the storm - and that real godly peace might not do anything to calm the rain, wind and waves. Just speaking "peace" might not soften the physical experience of what's going on, but the peace in the midst of the storm will be deeper and more real even as it continues to rage. And "be still" was to the storm, too, and the waves inside calmed down while the storms inside the souls of those present continued to fight against what they were seeing and hearing from the Messiah. And yet there was still "peace".

I'm probably safer here on the island, relative to the hurricane, than I will be when I get back to the States. Relative to relationships, I'll be safer back home - harder, but safe together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home