Monday, January 24, 2005

"Let Me Pray About It"

It's Monday - again. Looks like it'll be an okay week, but I wish the weather would stay cold, maybe send a little non-violent, non-fatal precip just a bit further south. It's one of those weeks when a snow day would be very welcome. The kids had a wonderful weekend, and Vicki made selections to the cast for this spring's production. Good restful get-over-this-flu-bug weekend for all of us, I think.

I've been reading alot, thinking alot, pondering everything alot. Yesterday's sermon was spot on for me, nailing me between the eyes with Galatians 5:13-15: "you've been set free so that you might serve others". I've got an upcoming decision, upcoming opportunity to do that, to use my gifts, get back in the game of ministry and working with others. It's the reason I've been set free, not to sit on my behonkuss and let the world come to me. I don't have any idea what the opportunity will look like, what it'll demand of my time and my family - but I do know it'll probably aim straight at my selfish disposition.

When I'm approached with an opportunity to do something, I want to say, "let me pray about it". I want that to mean "Yes, let me just take it to God for encouragement, for prioritizing, for counting the cost". It's not an excuse to say "No" or "Oh, wow - gee, you know, I don't know... let me pray about it, ok?". I want to pray with confidence, something that's been difficult to find for me lately, and know that God's calling me, that He's enabling this thing to take place in spite of and in full view of my shortcomings.

And others need to pray, too - that I'll do it, that I'll do it well, and that I'll stop whining about it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

Hi Rick,

I responded to your post on my blog, but I thought I'd comment here too. Praying for you and this decision, whatever it is.

26/1/05 10:09 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

thanks, krista - it means alot. the "decision" is probably already made, just making sure i'm moving forward with some oomph, you know?

much appreciated.

26/1/05 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home