Thursday, December 30, 2004

Looking Ahead

I've had a couple of comments and have read a couple of other blog posts concerning a "looking ahead" as well as looking back. The year that has been 2004 is almost over, and 2005 is a couple of days away. I've come a long way - emotionally, relationally, professionally, spiritually - in the past year, and I want to dwell on the positives, learn from the negatives, and move into the new timespan with a refreshed and empowered attitude. If that's alright with you.

  • In the area of personal and spiritual discipline, I need to make the time each day to just be alone, be quiet and listen to what God's saying. I need to use a devotional - got a couple around the house that are really good, and there's always Chambers' UTMOST/HIGHEST to challenge the bejeebers out of me. And I need to journal more, maybe here or on paper, what's going through my life.

  • At work, I need to be less distracted, more focused on doing good work for our customers and the company. That's probably a "well, duh", but I want my work ethic to be above reproach, to be the person who's learning and growing and doing what needs to be done.

  • At church, I sense that we need to get more involved. I've been "lazy" for awhile now, not volunteering and not really serving. But I miss being a part of the machinery of doing church, and I want to develop further as a leader and as a follower. I don't know what "more involved" will look like, and I'm not putting a timeline on it right now, but that's a "resolution" I need to follow-through on with the pastors and leaders.

  • I want to write a book. Novel, prose, essays - I don't know. But if I never say "this is the year", then it'll never happen. Why would I want to write? Because I think I've got something to say, and because I want people to know I'm not as loopy as I might appear in life's schtuff. I have found kindred spirits, and I've been encouraged by many people - I want to pass that encouragement along to anyone else struggling to find place and definition as things all around change beyond our control. Is that too much to ask?

  • At home, I really want to be there for my family. Less TV, more quiet time. More books, more family movie nights, more family game nights. More date nights, more mornings free for mommy. I want that to be a priority for me as the Dad.

  • And physically - I need to be in shape, or at least in better shape, to attempt any of the above. Fewer drive-thru stops, more sit-down dinners and more bag lunches. More walking (no excuses!), more stairs. No goal to shoot for - just lose weight and get some conditioning going on.

  • 1 Comments:

    Blogger jen said...

    so i should call your cell and badger you into walking? :)

    (so says she who will probably go freeze her butt off walking in 40F weather)

    30/12/04 2:48 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home