Friday, October 01, 2004

Friday Quips

First day of October, and I'm ready for Christmas. No kidding - skip Halloween, save me a drumstick from Thanksgiving, and let's move right to the end of the year. It feel like it's been such a long year already, and to think that there's still three months left boggles what's left of my mind. Not only will the leaves start to change color and the pine needles begin to let go of the spindly trees in my yard, but life is still changing all around us, challenging all around us. If we could skip the humidity of the inevitable indian summer and go straight to sweater weather, I'd be cool with that.

I'm looking forward to the book discussion that's starting full swing this next week. We're going to be reading New Way To Be Human, by Charlie Peacock - and if anyone needs a new way to do this thing, it's me. If you or anyone you know would like to join in, point them to the group website - and feel free to just peruse the archives if you'd like. I was also looking forward to seeing SHARK TALE - not bad, not NEMO, but it was fun to watch with the kids, and with Vicki & I giggling at the 80s references.

I watched the Presidential Debate last night. I want President Bush to wow me - there are issues that are not being addressed on which I'd like to see some decisiveness. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on trying to "fight the war on terror". His opponents usually end up speaking out of both sides of their mouths, and last night was no exception. During the 9/11 Commission Hearings, everyone wondered why there wasn't more done preemptively to prevent the attacks. Now that we're in Iraq, people are wondering why we jumped the gun preemptively to avoid any future attacks. Last night, Sen. Kerry said that the way to win in Iraq was to build an international coalition, and that the way to succeed in the situation in North Korea is to get out of a multinational discussion and try to discuss diplomatically in a bilateral way. Huh?

We've got friends coming over tomorrow evening to "tailgate" in the living room - USC vs 'Bama on ESPN2, 6pm 10/02. I'm looking forward to it. We haven't seen them proper since leaving the church a month/half ago, and it'll be good to crash and eat chili and do coffee together once again. We're also going to be visiting with another friend at her church Sunday morning. Pray for me - I can be way too cynical, skeptical and sarcastic at times, and I want to be open to God's voice, to worship together in spirit and in truth, and to honor God in all my relationships this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home