Monday, September 27, 2004

Used To Love The Weather Channel

I don't know if I'm tired of hurricane coverage, or of hurricane coverage reporters who "risk their lives for the sake of the story. If there were no hurricanes to report, they'd have to start making up dangerous things for ratings, wouldn't that?
"As you can see from my gaping wound, running with scissors is indeed dangerous - back to you in the studio..."

I know folks hate to see Jim Cantore walking through their airports, wondering what weather catastrophe he's reporting on. The guy I saw on some local news feed last night getting blown over by the high winds has to have some short-circuit in his head to think that this is the way life is supposed to be:

"Well, as you can see, the winds are very oommpphh yikes, ouch - very high, just knocked me down".

I can imagine some of these folks playing with toasters in the bathtub, or grabbing a boiling pot in order to report that it is indeed hot to anyone close enough to listen and to perhaps be in need of such news. For all the people smart enough to evacuate danger zones, it's not comforting that there are reporters still inclined to move into harm's way.

One crew over the past couple of weeks reported something like this:

"We'll keep broadcasting throughout the storm, although the local authorities say that they'll have to move to stronger shelter and higher ground in order to protect themselves in the next few minutes."

Can you give me one good reason why you wouldn't be following them to "stronger shelter and higher ground"?!? As it is, this storm is moving into GA, and we're seeing local school districts begin to close and send kids home early. Now if it would just snow a little, too.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Deborah Kaye said...

Oh, I saw Jim Cantore for the first time ever on the Wednesday/Thursday that Ivan struck. (Can you say I don't watch the tv much if at all?)

I was fairly impressed with the coverage from Pensacola, Gulf Shores and Fort Walton. When I actually drove through downtown Pensacola a week after the storm, I realized just how far they had to evacuate back into town from the original broadcast site.

5/10/04 8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home