Wednesday, September 29, 2004

"Lonely People"

"Life is like a box of chocolates" - only someone else has usually gone through and tasted all the pieces before you get there, leaving only the marshmallow creme and cherry-filled pieces, maybe a licorice flavored one that no one but the dog will eat. We need people, and we hurt people - that's our "chocolate box" existence. God has created us to need and to enjoy each other's company. We are to love God and to love others - and I'm convinced most of our lives are spent trying to live this out. Even if you don't believe in God, even if you're the staunchest atheist or most confused agnostic, at least you're probably trying your best to love others and to be loved in return. But we also hurt the ones we love, betray those who have our loyalty - because we are messed up and in need of something more. Am I right?

I've been listening to the new Jars Of Clay CD this morning, and they've got a cover of "Lonely People", one those favorite songs that you'd never think of as a favorite song, but you know all the words and you like to sing-along.
This is for all the lonely people
Thinkin' that life has passed them by
Don't give up until you
drink from the silver cup
You'll never know until you try
- dan peek, cathy peek

In this world, there is trouble and stress and lots of screwy junk - and there are people all around us going through those things, too. My question for life isn't "if I were to die right now, do I know that I'd spend eternity in heaven with Christ?" Instead, my question has morphed into something like that: "am I living a life right now that shows I love Jesus, and am I surrounded by people who are doing the same thing together? do I surround myself with friends who are working all this out in Christ in community together?" Because we are all ultimately lonely people - but loneliness fades a little when other people are tracking with us...

So here's to you, Mrs. Robinson - drinking from the silver cup of God's grace, God's mercy and God's forgiveness, together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home