Friday, May 06, 2005

iSoundtrack

I've found over the years that my taste in music often follows closely on what's going on in my life. Growing up and grabbing onto contemporary Christian music, I always had the latest Michael W. Smith, 4Him, Steven Curtis Chapman projects - huge collection of Christian cassettes still shelved in the den closet. Somewhere along the lines after college I started listening to "outside influences", non-Christian music that still struck a chord with me lyrically. As the 90s rumbled on, I listened to more movie soundtrack projects than anything else, and a few independent Christian band releases that seemed a little more real and a little less polished than the CCM industry machine. The beginning of the praise & worship phase of Christian music was really rich, until the marketing folks took it and overplayed their hand - everyone has a p&w CD these days, and it's still the independent lesser known artists and bands that seem to be doing it right, having the most fun with it, meaning it more as worship from their souls. And into the 00's, I'm buying more "secular music" (ohmigoodnessno!!) than anything else - sometimes there's more depth and spirituality in circles outside the mainstream church than inside.

All that to say: here's a peek at my soundtrack, the tunes/CDs that drive life right now.
  • How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, U2
  • Devils & Dust, Bruce Springsteen
  • Genesis, Joy Williams
  • Abbey Road Sessions, Steven Curtis Chapman
  • Sunsets & Sushi, David Crowder Band
  • The House Show, Derek Webb
  • The Battle for Everything, Five For Fighting
  • The Other Side of Something, Sarah Groves
  • Redemption Songs, Jars of Clay
  • Songs About Jane, Maroon 5
  • The Incredibles, Michael Giacchino
  • The Beautiful Letdown, Switchfoot
  • The Purest Place, Watermark
  • Finally Woken, Jem
  • A Rush of Blood to the Head, Coldplay
I'll catch a snippet of a song while watching Smallville or Grey's Anatomy, recognize it as something I've already downloaded from iTunes or as something I'll want to check out further. These songs and arrangements make me think, help me think, help me pray, help me enjoy life and the living, you know?

UPDATE 05/09/2005: I've now editted myself, and censored something on my "playlist". For all of it's artistry, I saw the lyrics of the new Springsteen CD for the first time today - and I felt that it would be the right thing to do to delete the song "Reno", dwelling on a rendezvous with a prostitute in a way that, for me, went beyond what was necessary. I cleared it from my recycle bin, too - just not something I need on my harddrive. Censorship is a harsh concept, but I felt it was personally necessary on this project.

7 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

You have very good music taste! The day i bought Stephen Curtis Chapman's greatest hits, i ran into him at the Nashville Airport and got his autograph. I blabbed on and on about how i loved his music and that the 2 songs we had in our wedding were one's he wrote. He was very nice and i was star struck!lol Theses days i am really digging Mercy Me.:-)

6/5/05 5:18 PM  
Blogger JackieLou said...

U2, The Boss, Jars of Clay...you've got some good taste goin on brother! =) I've got to ask, what's your favorite Springsteen song? Mine has always been "Badlands"...there's nothing like that song blaring on your speakers with the car window open.

6/5/05 6:14 PM  
Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

" .... sometimes there's more depth and spirituality in circles outside the mainstream church than inside."

That's been the case with music for a long time but I don't think we're supposed to tell anyone about it. :)

6/5/05 6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog for a few weeks now thanks to Donna at Pausing to Ponder. After reading this post and seeing your great taste in music, I had to comment. Just last weekend, my husband and I went with our Sunday school class to see Steven Curtis Chapman, Casting Crowns and Chris Tomlin in concert. It was 3 hours of wonderful music, prayers and great fellowship. I highly recommend Casting Crowns. They have just one album out now, but another will be out in August. Enjoy your blog. Thanks for writing.

6/5/05 9:18 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

let's see - we had a SCC song in our wedding, too. if you don't have the abbey road sessions, get it!

my favorite springsteen tune? i've never been a huge fan, but this new album floored me - i'd have to say "devils & dust".

ssshhh - don't tell the christians that there's better references to God on the other channels :)

and chris tomlin is a definite favorite, melene - i've seen him in concert a few times, and he's just right there personal. thanks for stopping by and un-lurking!

6/5/05 9:38 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Which song did you have rick? We had "If you could see what i see"he wrote it with Geoff Moore and GM recorded it with "the distance". We also had " I will be here" Written and rcorded by SCC. My brother sang them both at my wedding.:-)

7/5/05 9:01 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

if i remember correctly (long time ago, have lost many brain cells since!), our friend ted sang "i will be here". my brother did "cherish the treasure", and our friend janet did "the Lord's prayer". long long ago :)

7/5/05 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home