Saturday, March 05, 2005

Milestones

Sitting here on a Saturday morning, drinking coffee, pondering life, the universe and everything, thinking about the next technologicla marvel to which I'll need to succumb. There are certain milestones in the life of a geek. For me, while I don't remember the dates - these events have been important in my evolution as a man of deep deep thought and geekdom. Over the last three years or so, these are the major milestones I can point to in the life of our home computer:
  • add faster internal modem card (14.4 was so slow, wasn't it?)
  • add more RAM as prices drop
  • upgrade operating system from Win98 to XP
  • add internal DVD drive
  • cable modem (why does anyone wait?!?)
  • add external CD burner
  • add USB hub for burner, optical mouse

    And now:
  • wireless networking for the laptop

    I can blog without wires, without waiting for dial-up access, from the master suite upstairs. No more falling asleep in front of the PC (well, not much more). No more bad back from sitting at the kitchen table all day to work from home. No more dial-up access - did I mention that before? No more being attached to phone wires in one of three places in the house.

    Technology marches on.

  • 1 Comments:

    Blogger AJ said...

    "Sitting here on a Saturday morning, drinking coffee, pondering life, the universe and everything..."

    Now that's what I call a perfect Saturday morning! As to the rest of the post, as I'm still stuck with wireless, I can't comment. ;)

    Thanks for the baby note.

    5/3/05 12:44 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home