Monday, March 14, 2005

Contributing?

Bob left a very thoughtful, thought-provoking comment & question to a post from yesterday:
Rick,

Glad to hear you were able to share with a group this week. I trust all were blessed by the time spent in the Word.

I have a question about your statement of your feeling like you're "contributing". To what (or whom?) do you feel you contribute and how is it that you feel the last 9 months have not "contributed"?
I really haven't been a part of "formal ministry" in any capacity since last summer. My life went through an upheaval period, and I made decisions that have affected many folks since. But we've settled into the Seacoast/Irmo church body, and we're connecting on a new, more "formal" level. This Sunday morning study is one part of a long process that's been uphill, slow, painful at times.

On an informal level, I know that I've "contributed" in other ways: through this blog, through email, through conversations with old and with new friends. Perhaps those are bigger contributions in the long run; I don't know. And to what do I feel I can contribute? I feel that I add in small ways to the ongoing conversation, in community together somehow, that stretches us and tests us and reveals God in our midst. I don't know if that sounds prideful, or if there's a false humility in my word choice. I'm just a voice, and others have more to say and better ways to say it. But I like to think I get into the discussion honestly - not looking to market the hype of faddish change in the church, but really trying to get after the heart of God together.

How's that?

3 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

"How's that?" Good answer!

Just to share, it has been my experience in the last 10 months as I have moved out of "formal ministry" toward "informal ministry" (which I would like to call Kingdom living) I find that I am continually assaulted with the feeling that I'm not doing anything...I'm not "contributing".

IMHO, "formal ministry" places people in an environment where, sooner or later, all will feel performance anxiety. The feeling of not doing enough. Needing to do more--even after their home life, family life, work life, spiritual life have been stretched to the limit. Explicitly or implicitly, we are taught that if we feel we cannot keep up, if we tire, we are not "good Christians". Pastors of growing churches are some of the most "abused" by this teaching.

The truth is, and you hit it on the head, that your "informal ministry" may be the most important ministry you do. It is work that is lead by the Spirit where He is working and using you...not something you have purposed in your heart to do. Unfortunately, we oftentimes are not even aware of what the Spirit accomplishes through us. The Bible is replete with men and women who believed and contributed towards a promise that they never saw (on this earth).

We have to come to the point where we begin to understand this "informal ministry" (a.k.a. Kingdom life) as contributing.

I think I'm babbling....

I appreciate your walk, Rick, and the way you share this journey with us. And don't worry, any day you wake up and yield your life to Him is a day you truly "contribute".

15/3/05 2:14 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

thanks much for sharing that. i hear similar stories all the time, mostly folks in search of living this life better, more purposefully for Christ.

cool beans!

16/3/05 7:44 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

wait :) - you said - "The truth is, and you hit it on the head, that your "informal ministry" may be the most important ministry you do. It is work that is lead by the Spirit where He is working and using you...not something you have purposed in your heart to do." my word choice, "living this life better, more purposefully for Christ", doesn't contradict. instead, it's fixing my heart more intentionally on Christ in the down times, rather than majoring on the up times of "full-time ministry". for me, every moment is a possibility to learn or to teach or most likely both. i try to stay awake to that ;)

16/3/05 7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home