Monday, November 29, 2004

In Search Of Good Christmas Music

It is officially time for me to start listening to christmas music. Music is a big part of my life in general, but at this time of year in particular I enjoy the different styles and genres that make up christmas music. Big choruses & orchestrations and small voiced ballads - I'm all over it.

My favorite song, whatever rendition/cover I hear, is "Carol Of The Bells". With what I've got at home I can make a whole CD of nothing but that song - with real bell choirs or with huge guitar riffs. I've also been a fan of Amy Grant's christmas CDs over the years, and the 4Him christmas album was really good. I've got some celtic christmas, country christmas, Mannheim Steamroller, Veggie Tales christmas - and it's just starting for me.

In past years, I've pulled out the music too soon and gotten burned out before mid-December. This year, I've paced myself, starting *after* Thanksgiving and hopefully delaying the okay-I'm-really-tired-of-Rudolph-songs feeling that comes in about a month. I'm looking for some new CDs - at least some mp3s to download & burn. Maybe some swing or ska or neo-jazz stuff. Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i use Yahoo! Launch -- the tradition Christmas station. Free, good quality, and free!

(andy the geek)

29/11/04 1:22 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

the harry connick piece sounds good, and i want to get the big bad voodoo daddy christmas cd, too. as for yahoo! launch - free is always good :). i also have XM radio @ home, with four channels going all-christmas until the end of december.

29/11/04 1:35 PM  
Blogger Russell said...

I tried, but could not post yesterday....

I consider myself an expert on the subject of Christmas music. I currently own about 25 different CD's and many more single MP3's.

Off the top of my head, I would recommend these:

1. Harry for the Holidays
2. Trans-Siberian Orchestra (few albums)
3. A Very Special Christmas (many albums/compilations)
4. WOW Christmas (compilation)
5. Barenaked for the Holidays (on my list to buy)
6. Cheech & Chong - Santa Claus And His Old Lady.mp3 (Best christmas song out there!!!)

30/11/04 9:03 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

t-s orchestra - good morning commute music. let us know how the barenaked christmas turns out, as long as we're still talking about *music*, right?

30/11/04 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home