Thursday, April 14, 2005

Coffee Together

Okay, I'm moving past the "defend the faith" portion of the program. In surfing and finding so many sites against what I see God doing to bring the remnant/emergent church back to Himself in real relationship that goes beyond head knowledge and judgmentalism, I've found myself doing the same thing back: defending "my side" instead of being open to learning from the critique and moving forward in something that's even more refined and spot on.

I'm also finding that there are a number of people across the blogosphere who are going through similar-but-different experiences. Basically, they're finding something new and different and meaningful in Christ - they are seeing reality through new lenses, something that makes better sense than what they'd latched onto previously. And in that newness, they find themselves relatively alone, waving in the wind without anyone with whom to talk about these things. The response most people get when these things are brought up in "polite conversation" is very much like showing up to give a speech and then realizing you're without pants - you're glad you remembered underwear to cover the important stuff, but this isn't what you had in mind.

I invite you all over for coffee. We'll loan you pants.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

i was working this post since yesterday. was going to say "pants optional" - but there's too many naked literalists out there already.

14/4/05 7:26 AM  
Blogger Mike L. said...

Great Post! I have come to the exact same conclusion. Reading "A
Generous Orthodoxy" really helped me with this issue. I know I don't need to push my views any more than I want people pushing traditional views on me. I am putting my "generosity" to the test next month by taking a series of classes at my church on C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity". I know it will spark theological debate which would put into the "alone w/ pants off" situation. I'm planning a different response. I am going because I genuinely love the people in my church and I want to share in the "way" that they found God and are still thriving. The truth is that I found God in that traditional "way" also. I just couldn't continue to thrive in it.

14/4/05 8:20 AM  
Blogger JP said...

I hear what you are saying, I am one who for a while had spiritual blinders on , no periphial(sp?) vision...I just saw MY path so now I know what it feels like to stand alone in your walk as even my own wife is not sure where I am headed or how I got here. By the way, I like extra cream....I will bring the coffee cake.

14/4/05 9:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had left a reply here that did not promote my blog.... but blogger again just went blip and all I wrote... was gone.

I wrote about how I felt pretty early in my blog... my blog is about my journey.... in my June archives the post: "A funny thing happened on the way to the Blog" I try to explain how I felt.
Blessed,
iggy

14/4/05 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home