Sunday, September 05, 2004

Sabbath

Listening: Matt Redman, "If I Have Not Love" - XM32-TheFish
Reading: 1 John 3:11-24
Drinking: coffee, strong blend from gift shop in San Juan, PR
Pondering: relationships
Preparing: to visit a church this morning

I woke up this morning stuffy headed in my sinuses, nose and throat. After a quick bathroom trip to blow all the gunk out, I crawled back into bed for a couple of hours. I think it helped - not sure. We're moving slowly this morning, heading to a church on the northwest side of town that has an 11:15am service. We've only been doing this a few weeks now. Vicki reminds me how important it is to keep going to church, to not pick this time to "skip church because we feel bad" and start a habit we have no intention of starting.

I picked up new reading material at the bookstore last night: New Way To Be Human by Charlie Peacock. It jumped off the shelf and attacked me, something I admire in any good book. He has always struck me as the kind of person who'd be fun to join at Starbucks for conversation and coffee - he might pick up the tab, he might not, but you know the dialogue would be worth something, would be challenging and uplifting, like a good friend you just met but with whom you really begin to click. It looks like this book is going to be about language, words, relationships, stories and our culture that needs hope and life to be fully alive.

On page seven, he writes:
Borrowing from a device I've heard pastor-theologian Andre' Resner use, "I'd like ten minutes back".... Is there anyone you'd like ten minutes back with?

Yes, there is. Perhaps one day, perhaps soon. I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home