Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Flick Week

When the rest of my family heads to the beach in the summer, I normally stay behind, take care of the pets and the house, and see a few movies that are in my I'm-just-weird-and-no-one-else-likes-my-movies list. This week I've mostly got DVDs lined up, but I do hope to go to one theater flick tomorrow night if I can.

  • SIDEWAYS - Watched it Monday evening, and while I can see why the principals were nominated for their roles for various awards, I just didn't like it all that much. The guys were very shallow, given every opportunity to show themselves less so, and didn't. Best redeeming thing: really good ending, leaving enough hanging to make it nice.
  • KEEPING THE FAITH - y'all were right. Really liked this movie, even though the ending was way too sappy for my tastes. Alot like The Monk Downstairs, novel of a monk who finds love alongside rediscovering love in God. Anyway, I even liked Stiller, and he's not one of my favorites out there now.
  • CRASH - Really good. I don't have anything left tonight to post a review, but it needs its own post. Audio debriefing here, and I'll review it later this weekend, promise.
  • SNATCH - Lots of folks have this on their "favorite movies list", and it looked like one I'd at least "get". I liked it ok, and it had its moments, but not all that.

  • 9 Comments:

    Blogger Mike L. said...

    I really loved sideways! It was a breath of fresh air from hollywood.

    15/6/05 12:55 PM  
    Blogger Rick said...

    ehh - didn't do it for me. there was alot of depth in the dialogue and the thought processes of the characters, but no depth in their practical lives.

    that never happens in the real world. too fanciful.

    15/6/05 1:02 PM  
    Blogger jen said...

    i HIGHLY recommend "keeping the faith" -- it is hilariously funny if you know anything about judaism and catholicism.

    15/6/05 1:30 PM  
    Blogger Mac Lake said...

    You will love Keeping the faith, my sister turned me on to it a few years ago, I went reluctantly, but it brought lots of laughs!
    Great to see you on Tuesday Rick, sorry we didn't get a chance to talk. I was caught up in the spirit of the volleyball game. See you next time I'm in Irmo

    15/6/05 9:31 PM  
    Blogger Rick said...

    thanks, mac - i liked it ok, but the volleyball match was better entertainment any day.

    16/6/05 8:14 AM  
    Blogger Dave said...

    Keeping the Faith was great.

    Snatch was funny and very, very odd. "Periwinkle blue." heh.

    So you're going for oddly cool? Have you tried:

    --Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    --I Heart Huckabees
    --The Life Aquatic (not as good as Rushmore, but enjoyable)

    [For TLA, I think you may need to already be a "Wes Anderson fan" to enjoy it.]

    Speaking of odd shows: I just finished watching Season One of "Dead Like Me." I must say, I really really enjoyed it. Dark humor, but oddly life-affirming. Skewed view of the afterlife, but that's to be expected in a show about "grim reapers." And Mandy Patinkin remains one of my favorite actors.

    16/6/05 9:43 AM  
    Blogger Rick said...

    saw eternal sunshine - liked it up to a point, then it got a little whacked out, FF'd through alot to find how the strings tied back in around.

    didn't heart huckabees - just didn't do anything for me. i think it was the mark wahlberg (i think that's right) character that just seemed out of place.

    life aquatic already in the queue :) - thanks for the heads up on dead like me, too - might check that out.

    16/6/05 9:48 AM  
    Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

    Snath is the best. One of my favorite movies.

    16/6/05 10:46 AM  
    Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

    Some of My Favorite Movies

    16/6/05 10:52 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home