Saturday, December 11, 2004

Density, Destiny

Lorraine Baines: Wait a minute, don't I know you from somewhere?
George McFly: Yes. Yes. I'm George, George McFly. I'm your density. I mean... your destiny.
[back to the future, 1985]
I must be dense. When I posted the photo of the two bridges yesterday (my wife shot it the weekend after Thanksgiving in Charleston), I didn't even make a casual reference to the old bridge/new bridge thing. That is so much like my life, a really good metaphor for where I've been and where we're headed. There's another shot unposted of the hole that remains in the new bridge, and perhaps that's a good picture, too, of what life looks like around here.
"...the more one respects Jesus, the more one must be brokenhearted, embarassed, furious, or some combination thereof when one considers what we Christians have done with Jesus. That's certainly true when it comes to calling Jesus Lord, something we Christians do a lot, often without the foggiest idea of what we mean. Has He become (I shudder to ask this) less our Lord and more our Mascot?"
- Brian McLaren, a Generous Orthodoxy, p. 80
I'm making plans now to go back when the new bridge is done, before the old bridge goes away, to take an appropriate "looking back in time" kind of photo. Probably let my wife take that one, too, appreciating the beauty and necessity of the old bridge while taking advantage of the new.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

thanks for the kind words :) - stop by anytime, 'specially after you finish the book. peace!

11/12/04 4:30 PM  
Blogger Rev. April said...

hey rick-
my mail program isnt working on my computer, so i cant seem to get to your email. but heres mine: harpist280@aol.com.
sorry to eat up comment space with this :)

11/12/04 5:30 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

I also think the more we accept Jesus, the more we relize our sinfulness and desperate need of him.

God bless.

11/12/04 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home