Sunday, October 10, 2004

Sunday Morning

We're up and ready for church this morning - almost. Sundays are really rather stress-free right now, and it's pleasant to be able to get up, eat breakfast, play a bit and get ready for church at a more leisurely pace (my wife would probably beg to differ, and I'll let her - I don't like begging).

We're revisiting a church this morning, wanting to get a feel for the place, the people, the ministry styles and emphases. Honestly, I'm looking for a group of people who are intentional about what they do and who they serve, and serious about taking God more seriously than they take themselves. I'm not looking for a church with a building program - nothing against that, but I've got the mindset right now that a new church plant might be a better use of $$$ then a new educational wing.

I'm also not looking for a place where "you'll be able to plug in" is one of their top draws. I'll be honest, I don't want to plug in right now. Eventually, I pray God will prepare me for a place being prepared for me, if that makes sense. But right now, I don't want extra responsibility and overhead to take away from just trying to heal, re-group and move forward in a positive light. I don't want to be the person barging into a church leadership team and proclaiming, "boy howdy, I've got just what you need." When God shows us the place to take root, He'll prepare the place to be fruitful, and He'll prepare us to minister and serve as needed. I'm not going to conform the square peg for the wrong round hole.

This church has had a little bit of everything so far: a decent mix of cultural color, good mix of music styles, good teaching at the corporate level, and fun ways to intentionally teach the kids and play with them in Christ (plus, they convene in a movie theater - most comfortable "pews" I've ever had!). It's the first one we've really had a consensus on for gong back. It'll take time to get to know them, probably longer to let them get to know us. I might follow my daughter's lead, meeting everyone and just playing the whole time. I'm really looking forward to the experience.

2 Comments:

Blogger Russell said...

While searching for a place to serve, don't forget a famous quote rephrased: "Ask not what the Church can do for you, but rather Ask what you can do for the Church."

Perhaps there is a seemingly imperfect situation that is in need of what you've got. You never know what God has in store for you. Sometimes it's uncomfortable...actually most times in Kingdom Living it's uncomfortable.

"From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. " (Ephesians 4)

11/10/04 2:33 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

thanks for the kind words and well wishes. one of the things i'm actually avoiding is looking for a place that would "need us" - i know that's probably not where you were going, but that's something i've put to the top of my list, personally :).

i think we're looking for a place that's intentional about serving God in this community, intentional about being together while doing that.

11/10/04 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home